Monday, May 9, 2011

First Amazing Day at York Glaziers Trust

     Today I had my first amazing day at the York Glaziers Trust workshop, which is responsible for conserving the stained glass windows of York Minster and other glass in the surrounding area, as time and space permits.
     I started my day with a "Health and Safety" review. The British are very big on health and safety, surprisingly more so than anything I have experienced in America. After a Health and Safety tour, I had a notebook to review which detailed everyone in the organization's health and safety responsibilities, and subject by subject health and safety procedures.
     Once that was done, we got started on the fun stuff: Old glass!  I first observed our Senior Conservator as he helped another conservator size up a tracing for the new "cut-lines" on a head panel, like the one I will be working on. This ensures that once the glass is all leaded back together, it will fit in the masonry opening of the window. Here's what it looks like:


Next I got started on the panel that will be my project for the duration of my placement,
also known as YM1 12e.



This is a "rubbing" of the lead lines. An outline of the lead before conservation.
It requires great care, so that you do not disturbed the fragile paint or the glass.
Keep in mind this panel was created 600 years ago!



This is the end result, after I have gone back to fill in any spaces in the lines,
where the lead was uneven or too knarled up to do the rubbing.
This will be reduced, and copies made for several different kinds of documentation
before and during conservation.



Close-up of leadline rubbing.

Another close-up.

It was a really great first day! I enjoyed every second of it.
Everyone at the YGT was very welcoming and helpful.
AND they have tea breaks at 10:00 and 3:00. What more could you ask for?!